Friday, June 26, 2015

Impressionism at the Musee D'Orsay


We went to three museums when we were in Paris. Today let's talk about the big beautiful Impressionist Gallery at the Musee D'Orsay, shall we? I love seeing Impressionist paintings in person. We've all seen them reproduced so many many times that, when I see reproductions, even good ones, I have a very hard time actually seeing what I'm looking at--all I see are a million coffee mugs and mouse pads and prints hanging on the walls of dentists' offices. But when I see them in person. Bam! I suddenly remember how utterly totally radical these pictures were in their day. How they cracked not only the idea of painting, but indeed the very idea of seeing wide open. Go on with your bad selves, you Impressionists you. I found this group of landscapes, with all their blues, particularly pleasing. Take a look!

Above: Monet


Monet


Sisley


Renoir


Monet


Sisley


Manet

No comments:

Post a Comment