Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Poem Series About the Spring of 2006 Continues On This, the First Day of Spring 2014


March 29, 2006
This morning we had english muffins with jam

I’ve never really been all that into jam
but for some reason lately
I’ve felt enthusiastic about it
We bought some blueberry
a few weeks back
so that’s mostly what I’ve been having
But just in the last few days oddly
the subject of marmalade
keeps coming up in my reading
so now I’m craving that
and ok I also have ulterior motive
namely that we have
some random brand of marmalade
in our fridge in a ho-hum jar
and I want to use that up
and replace it with the oh-so-pleasing
classic squat and curvy marmalade pot
Bill called me on that one right away
You just want a different jar in the fridge don’t you?
Yes
So nice to be known

Also
why did it take me
until I was thirty years old
to figure out about seasons?
It’s cold and wet in March
but with green buds and long evenings
entirely different from
the cold and wet of December
this isn’t random
there’s a pattern
It’s predictable
anticipatable
and each bit is short and rare
fleeting and worthy of note
It took the farmer’s market
apples in December
asparagus in March
to teach me that

No comments:

Post a Comment